FAST – The Free and Secure Trade program expedites the clearing process for low-risk shipments crossing the borders of the US, Canada, and Mexico. This program is a joint initiative between the three countries to ensure the safety and security of each country while boosting their economic prosperity.
Benefits of FAST Program
Pre-authorized, low-risk carriers, importers, drivers, and southern border manufacturers get to enjoy the following benefits:
- Dedicated lanes can be found at certain land ports of entry between the US and Canada as well as the US and Mexico.
- Reduced delivery times
- Minimizes landed costs of imports
- Reduced number of examinations
- Minimal paperwork will be required to cross the border
- FAST cards can be used as proof of identity and citizenship when entering Canada
Carriers and importers who wish to participate in the program to cross the norther border must also be enrolled in the Customs Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) in the US and/or the Partners in Protection (PIP) in Canada. To participate in Fast on the southern border, the manufacturer must also be enrolled in the C-TPAT program and follow the CBP’s high security seal requirements.
How to Apply
Commercial truck drivers who are US citizens, US lawful permanent residents, Canadian citizens, Canadian lawful permanent residents, and Mexican nationals are welcome to apply for this commercial clearance program. They will undergo complete background checks and be required to satisfy eligibility requirements. All applicants must be 18 or over and possess a valid driver’s license.
There are two types of applications for membership: FAST North and FAST South. FAST North allows members to enjoy benefits at both the US-Canada border and the US-Mexico border. FAST South is limited only to south border crossings.
- Step 1: Commercial drivers can apply for FAST North and South membership through the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES).
- Step 2: Complete the application and pay the non-refundable fee of $50 (US or Canadian).
- Step 3: A notification will be sent to your GOES account to let you know of your conditional approval. You will be asked to schedule an interview at the nearest enrollment center.
- Step 4: Bring the original copy of your supporting documents (proof of citizenship or permanent residency, proof of current residence, work permits, etc.) to your interview.
Submit a Paper Application
- Step 1: Download the form here.
- Step 2: Complete the form. Submit it along with photocopies of your supporting documents and the fee ($50 CAN) to:
FAST Commercial Driver Program
6080 McLeod Road, P.O. Box 126,
Niagara Falls ON L2E 6T1
- Step 3: Once you receive your notification letter, create a GOES account and make sure you enter the PASS ID or FAST ID stated in the letter. Then, schedule an interview with the nearest enrollment center.
- Step 4: Bring original copies of your supporting documents as well as your notification letter to your interview.