The state of Maine has 24 land ports of entry along the 611 miles that it shares with Quebec and New Brunswick. Three of the border crossings are actually some of the busiest between Canada and the US – Calais – International, Madawaska, and Houlton – Richmond Corner. The Calais port of entry was actually the 10th busiest US-Canada border crossing in 2015 with more than 2,000 passenger and commercial vehicles passing through daily.
Travel Tips for Crossing the Border in Maine:
- Maine, New Brunswick, and Quebec participate in the North American initiative to provide a travel information service through a hotline – 511 – that travelers can get updates on traffic and road conditions.
- Canadians who wish to hunt in Maine will need to have a previous hunting license or a certificate of completion for an approved hunter safety course. You will need to provide an affidavit if you do not have a copy of your old license or hunter safety course completion certificate. You should keep your hunting license and permit with you at all times while you are hunting or transporting wild animals.
- US citizens who want to go hunting in New Brunswick are required to have a previous hunting license or show proof of completion of a Firearm Safety – Hunter Education Course (for hunters who use guns) or a Bowhunter Education course (for hunters who use bows or crossbows).
If you want to learn more about the border crossings between Maine and Quebec, you can click on the corresponding link below. Each page shows important travel information including contact details, traffic and road conditions, and border wait times.
- Coburn Gore – Woburn
- Jackman – Armstrong
- Sainte Aurelie
- Sainte Zacharie
- St. Juste
- Saint Pamphile
- Estcourt Station
The border crossings between Maine and New Brunswick are listed below:
- Fort Kent – Clair
- Edmundston-Madawaska Bridge
- Saint Leonard – Van Buren Bridge
- Hamlin – Grand Falls
- Limestone – Gillespie Portage
- Fort Fairfield – Perth-Andover
- Easton – River de Chute
- Bridgewater – Centreville
- Monticello – Bloomfield
- Houlton – Richmond Corner
- Orient – Fosterville
- Forest City
- Vanceboro – Ste Croix
- Calais International Avenue
- Milltown – Saint Stephen
- Ferry Point Crossing – Calais
- FDR Bridge