Montana Border Crossings

The state of Montana shares a 545-mile border with 3 provinces of Canada – British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. There are 14 border crossings, three of which are major truck portals between the two countries. The busiest ports of entry in Montana are Sweetgrass, Piegan, and Roosville. Sweetgrass is easily the most traveled border crossing in the state with over 1,000 vehicles passing through daily.

Travel Tips for Border Crossing Crossing between US State of Montana and Canada

  • To get traveler information in Montana, please visit here.
  • To go hunting in British Columbia, a nonresident will need a hunting license and a species license. To hunt big game, a nonresident is also required to be accompanied by a registered guide outfitter with an Accompany to Hunt permit.
  • To go hunting in Montana, a nonresident is required to get at least a conservation license and a base hunting license. Special licenses and permits may be required for certain species.
  • To fish in Montana, a nonresident will also be required to get a conservation license before a fishing license can be obtained.
  • Travelers can get traffic and road conditions for Alberta here.
  • Travel information in Saskatchewan is available here.
  • British Columbia has import restrictions on fresh apples, stone fruit, and potatoes. If you’re importing food from Montana or any other US state, you will need to check the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) to find out the exact import requirements before you go to a port of entry into British Columbia.

To get more information on each of the border crossings, please click on the corresponding link below. Each page contains detailed information regarding a port of entry including border wait times, traffic and road conditions, contact details, and other important facts.

Please note that the Whitetail / Big Beaver border crossing has now permanently closed since 2013.