Piegan border inspection station
The Piegan – Carway border crossing is the third most traveled port of entry in the state of Montana. Most of the vehicles passing through are locals and vacationers who wish to travel to Alberta and the Waterton Lakes National Park during the months that the Chief Mountain border crossing is closed. This port is also the preferred route of vacationers who wish to travel to the Going-To-The-Sun Road in Glacier National Park. Around 150 vehicles pass through this border crossing daily.
The Piegan – Carway port connects the communities of Cardston, Alberta and Babb, Montana which is located on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
The Piegan – Carway border crossing is open daily from 7 am to 11 pm in both directions. Delays can occur during peak hours especially during the summer months. Travelers who want to monitor the current wait time at this port can get the CanBorder app or the CBP Border Wait Times app on Google Play or iTunes.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Travelers in Montana who want to get weather-related traffic and road conditions reports can call the 511 (or 800-226-7623 for calls outside Montana) and visit the state’s travel info map online. Alberta also provides reports on road and weather conditions through their travel service hotline (dial 511 or 1-855-391-9743 if outside Alberta), Twitter account @511Alberta, and online Road Conditions Map.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
Travelers who want to learn more about the Piegan – Carway border crossing can use the phone numbers listed below to contact the US or Canadian customs officials at this location. Those who plan to drive to this port can use the map and the directions below as their guide.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 5023 Highway 89 North, Babb, MT 59411-0109
- US Customs: (406) 732-5572
- Canada: Highway #2 South, Cardston, Alberta T0K 0K0
- Canadian Customs: (403) 653-3009
Things to Know About the Piegan – Carway Border Crossing:
- The Piegan port is a Permit Port. Individuals who want to import cargo through this border crossing are required to get advance approval from the Area Port of Great Falls before arriving at this location.
- The US Route 89 is the access highway to the Going-To-The-Sun Road which starts at St. Mary, Montana. This scenic mountain road in the Rocky Mountains has travel restrictions. It is limited to vehicles that have a length no longer than 21 feet and a width no bigger than 8 feet. RVs and trailers are typically not allowed on this road.
- There’s a duty free shop, Carway Gift & Coffee Shop, on the Canadian side of the border. There is no duty free shop on the US side of the border.
- Visit the biggest collection of horse-drawn vehicles in North America – the Remington Carriage Museum in Cardston, Alberta.
Links of Interest