Sumas Huntingdon border crossing
The Sumas – Huntingdon border crossing is one of the busiest in Washington State. Despite the high volume of cars passing through, it has lighter traffic compared to other high-volume border crossings such as the Peace Arch Border Crossing. There are currently eight traffic lanes entering Canada: four for passenger vehicles, two for commercial, one for NEXUS travelers, and one for buses. Going to the US, there are seven available lanes: two for commercial and five for passenger vehicles (including the NEXUS and READY lanes). The availability of the lanes is subject to change. Read the signs carefully before choosing one.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times in Sumas Huntingdon
Passenger vehicles can travel through the Sumas – Huntingdon border crossing 24/7. Commercial vehicles, however, are limited to weekdays from 8 am to 4 pm except holidays. This border crossing also has NEXUS and RFID-ready lanes, all of which have different hours of operation. NEXUS lanes entering Canada are open daily from 8 am to 8 pm. NEXUS lanes entering the US, on the other hand, are only open on weekdays from 8 am to 11 am. RFID-ready lanes (including NEXUS lanes) are open M-F from 11 am to 6 pm while weekends are 8 am to 5 pm. To learn the current and forecasted wait times, you can check with the US Customs and Border Protection or the Canada Border Services Agency. You can also monitor wait times by downloading the CanBorder app on your Apple, Android, or Blackberry device.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
A high volume of vehicles passes through the Sumas WA border crossing so expect to experience delays, especially during peak hours. Get real-time traffic updates in the area by viewing the Washington border cameras here and the BC highway cameras here. You can also opt to call 511 (or 1-800-695-7623 if calling from outside WA) for the traffic and weather information in Washington. State travel alerts are posted here. British Columbia also offers toll-free numbers for traffic and weather inquiries – 1-800-550-4997 and 1-604-664-9010, respectively. Another option is checking the weather forecast for Sumas here and Huntingdon here
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
If you want to get more information about the Sumas – Huntingdon border crossing, you can get in touch with either the US or Canada Border Inspection Agencies. The contact details are listed below. To get to the border crossing, please view the map and the directions below.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.:103 Cherry Street, Sumas, WA 98295
- US Customs: 1 (360) 988-2971
- Canada:2 Sumas Way, Huntingdon, BC V2S 8B7
- Canadian Customs: 1(604) 854-5558
Things to Know About the Sumas – Huntingdon Border Crossing:
- There are duty-free shops located on both sides of the border. Find out the hours of operation of the Sumas Duty Free Americas here. Learn about the Abbotsford Duty Free shop here.
- Sumas, Washington has plenty of gas stations, PO Boxes, and shipping/parcel receiving businesses that service Canadians who wish to save money. Most businesses can transact in both US and Canadian currency.
- Abbotsford, just over 7 miles past the border crossing, is a popular tourist spot and stop over point for travelers heading farther north (i.e. Alaska).
Links of Interest