Lancaster inspection station
The Lancaster – Tolstoi border crossing is the westernmost port of entry between the US and Canada in the state of Minnesota. This border crossing links the city of Lancaster, Minnesota to the city of Tolstoi, Manitoba. The port was opened in 1950 when an extension of the Manitoba Highway 59 and the US Highway 59 was completed, providing travelers with a more direct route going to Winnipeg, Manitoba from Thief River Falls, Minnesota.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times in Lancaster Tolstoi
The US port of entry is open daily from 8 am to 10 pm (CST). The Canadian port of entry is also open daily to passenger vehicles from 8 am to 10 pm. Commercial vehicles, however, can only enter Canada through this port during the weekdays from 8 am to 5 pm.
The Lancaster – Tolstoi border crossing is lightly traveled. Most of the vehicles passing through are vacationers and locals. Travelers can get current border wait times for this port of entry by getting the CanBorder app or the CBP Border Wait Times app on Google Play or iTunes.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Traffic should be light when passing through the Lancaster port because it is considered to be a fairly quiet border crossing. The Tolstoi port, on the other, hand is considered to be one of the busiest in the province of Manitoba with around 70,000 people using this port each year. Travelers to Minnesota can get in touch with the 511 hotline or check out the DOT’s online interactive map to get traffic and road conditions in the area. Manitoba also has a travel information service hotline – 511 – as well as their own interactive map that details the current conditions of the province’s highways.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To learn more about the Lancaster – Tolstoi border crossing, you can call the US or Canadian border station with the numbers provided below. To reach this port of entry, you can follow the map and the directions below.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 4151 Hwy 59, Lancaster, MN 56735
- US Customs: (218) 762-4100
- Canada: Manitoba Highway 59, Tolstoi, Manitoba R0A 2E0
- Canadian Customs: (204) 427-2076
Things to Know About the Lancaster – Tolstoi Border Crossing:
- The Tolstoi port of entry provides bilingual services since it serves several Francophone communities in the area.
- Tolstoi, Manitoba is one of the earliest Ukrainian settlements in the western part of Canada; the community was established by immigrants in the 1890s. Many of the historical buildings, such as The Sacred Heart of Jesus Ukrainian Catholic Church of Tolstoi which was established in 1902, can still be visited today.
Links of Interest