Northgate border crossing
The Northgate border crossing is a low-volume point of entry that sees less than 100 vehicles a day. It connects two unincorporated communities across a border, both of which are named Northgate – Northgate, North Dakota and Northgate, Saskatchewan.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
The Canadian port keeps seasonal hours. From the second Sunday in March to the first Saturday in November, passenger vehicles can pass through daily from 8 am to 9 pm. Commercial vehicles, however, are limited to weekdays from 8 am to 5 pm. For the remainder of the year, travelers can enter daily from 9 am to 10 pm while commercial vehicles are still limited to weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm, except for holidays. The US Customs Office, on the other hand, operates from 9 am to 10 pm daily.
Delays rarely occur while crossing the Northgate border crossing. To get notified of border wait times when entering Canada, you can download the CanBorder app. The US Border Office has a similar app called the CBP Border Wait Times app which you can get on iTunes and Google Play.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Traffic is usually light on the Northgate border crossing. If you want to know the status of Highway 40, you can call 511. This travel information hotline will provide you with traffic updates as well as weather and road conditions in North Dakota. Callers from outside North Dakota should use this number: 1-866-696-3511. You can also check the travel information map to get the information you need before your trip.
To get travel information on Saskatchewan roads and cities, you can visit their Interactive Highway Map.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
If you want to learn more about crossing the border at Northgate, you can get in touch with the US or Canadian Border Office using the information we’ve provided below. You can reach this port of entry by following the map and our directions.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 10921 Hwy 8, Flaxton, ND 58737
- US Customs: 1 (701) 596-3805
- Canada:Saskatchewan Highway 9 (Saskota Flyway), North Portal, Saskatchewan S0C 1W0
- Canadian Customs: 1 (306) 483-5111
Things to Know About the Northgate Border Crossing:
- The community of Northgate, North Dakota is mostly a ghost town. You can still check out the abandoned buildings and experience a bit of history.
- Bowbells, North Dakota is just 13 miles from the border. Travelers looking for some bird and game hunting can do so in this area.
- Alameda, Saskatchewan is approximately 32 km north of the border which is home to the Alameda Dam, a full-service recreational area.