Neche Gretna border crossing
The Neche-Gretna border crossing is the 5th busiest port of entry in North Dakota. Around 4000+ passenger vehicles and 1000 trucks pass through this route each month, based on the data gathered by the Border of Transportation Statistics for the past few years. The city of Neche, North Dakota and Gretna, Manitoba are connected by this border crossing. This port is sometimes closed due to flooding of the Pembina River.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
The US port of entry is open daily from 8 am to 10 pm. The Canadian office is open during the same hours for passenger vehicles. Commercial vehicles, however, are limited to weekdays from 8 am to 5 pm, except for holidays.
Wait times are considerably shorter on the Neche-Gretna border crossing compared to the Pembina – Emerson border crossing around 18 miles away. There is no data on the current wait times on this port of entry. To keep yourself informed regarding the delays at the different ports between US and Canada, download the CanBorder app or the CBP Border Wait Times app on iTunes and Google Play.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Around 200 vehicles pass through the Neche – Gretna border crossing every day. Traffic is rarely heavy, however. If you want to check the traffic conditions on Highway 18, you can visit North Dakota’s travel information map. The state also has a travel information hotline 511 that will give you updated information on traffic, weather, and road conditions for your trip. For those calling out of state, please dial 1-866-696-3511 instead.
For those who want current information on traffic along Manitoba’s highway, you can use their Interactive Highway Map. You can also call their travel information hotline, 511, to get current information regarding travel conditions in the province. The province of Manitoba also posts updates on traffic information on their Twitter account @MBGovRoads.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To learn more about the Neche – Gretna border crossing, you can reach out to the US or Canadian Customs using the contact information listed below. If you want to find out how to drive to this port of entry, please use the map and directions we’ve provided below.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 10949 Hwy #18, Neche, ND 582655
- US Customs: 1 (701) 886-7744
- Canada:Manitoba Highway 30, Gretna, Manitoba R0G 0V0
- Canadian Customs: 1 (204) 327-5370
Things to Know About the Neche – Gretna Border Crossing:
- 1 mile south of the Gretna MB border crossing is Menke’s Parcel Service.
- Nora’s Diner is the only restaurant in the town of Gretna, Manitoba.
- Just 17 miles from this port of entry is the Pembina State Museum that shows you a bit of North Dakota’s history.
- Visit Icelandic State Park, which is around 23 miles from the border office, for some outdoor fun such as swimming, fishing, boating, and camping.
- The nearest cities to the border that offer accommodations are Cavalier, North Dakota and Altona, Manitoba.