St. John Lena border crossing
The St. John – Lena border crossing is a remote port of entry that has a low volume of traffic. Less than 50 vehicles pass through it each day; most of them are cars. This is likely because most travelers pass through the International Peace Garden port, the border crossing next to it.Unlike other lightly used border stations, the old brick building that houses the US Customs Office has never been replaced. Instead, it is preserved for historical purposes.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
The US border station is open daily from 8 am to 9 pm. The Canadian port also operates the same hours for passenger vehicles. Commercial ones, however, are only allowed to enter on weekdays, from 8 am to 5 pm, except for holidays.
Since vehicles rarely travel through this port, delays are rare, if any. Travelers who want to check border wait times can do so by downloading the CBP Border Wait Times app on iTunes and Google Play or the CanBorder app.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Expect traffic to be very light on Highway 30, nearing the border. If you want to be informed of traffic and road conditions before you reach St. John, you can call the North Dakota travel info hotline by dialing 511 or 1-866-696-3511 (out-of-state callers) You can also visit the state’s travel information map. Get the weather forecast in St. John here.
Traffic on PTH 18, nearing the Lena MB border crossing, should be light as well. To learn about traffic and road conditions in Manitoba, follow @MBGovRoads on Twitter. You can also go online and check Manitoba’s Interactive Highway Map. Manitoba’s travel hotline is another option. Dial 511 to get recorded messages on traffic, weather, and road conditions within the province.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
If you want to learn more about crossing the border through this port, you can get in touch with the US or Canadian Border Officials through the number listed below. To pass through the St. John – Lena border crossing, follow the map and the directions provided.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 10935 Highway 30, St. John, ND 58369-6910
- US Customs: 1 (701) 477-3140
- Canada: Manitoba Highway 18, Killarney, Manitoba R0K 1G0
- Canadian Customs: 1 (204) 523-8450
Things to Know About the St. John-Lena Border Crossing:
- The eastern end of the Turtle Mountain Scenic Byway is located at Highway 30, near St. John. Drop by the Martineau House, an 1899 Victorian house that currently functions as the visitor’s center for the byway.
- Drop by the historic Coghlan Castle near St. John, the one and only castle in the state of North Dakota.
- The nearest cities to the border that offer accommodations to travelers are Killarney, Manitoba and Rolla, North Dakota.