Saint Leonard – Van Buren Bridge border crossing
The Saint Leonard – Van Buren border crossing connects the towns of Van Buren, Maine and St. Leonard, New Brunswick across the Saint John River through an international bridge, the Saint Leonard – Van Buren Bridge. It is one of the top 25 busiest border crossings between US and Canada. Approximately 500 vehicles pass through each day.
Prior to the bridge’s construction in 1911, a hand-pulled cable ferry was used to link the two communities. In 1972, the original bridge was replaced. In 2008, the US border station was damaged due to a flooding of the St. John River. A doublewide mobile trailer served as the CBP border station until a state-of-the-art facility was built in 2013 that greatly increased its capacity of handling commercial and passenger vehicles passing through.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times in Saint Leonard Van Buren Bridge
The US border station is open 24/7 to all vehicles. The Canadian border station is open to travelers 24/7 as well. However, its commercial services are limited to weekdays only from 8 am to 4 pm, except on holidays.
The Saint Leonard – Van Buren Bridge border crossing is a very busy port, especially during peak hours. Travelers can get real-time border wait times for this international bridge by getting the CBP Border Wait Times app on Google Play or iTunes, or the use the CanBorder app.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
The state of Maine provides travel information through a hotline that the public can call. Dial 511 for calls inside Maine or 1-866-282-7578 for calls outside the state. You can also follow their Twitter account @MaineDOT to get traffic reports on the go. The province of Quebec also participates in the North American initiative to provide road weather, transportation, and traffic information to the public. You can get current road conditions, road restrictions, and traffic alerts by dialing 511 or 1 888 355-0511 (toll-free).
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To get more information about the Saint Leonard – Van Buren Bridge border crossing, you can call the customs officials at this location using the phone numbers listed below. If you want to drive to this port of entry, you can use the map and the directions as a guide.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 173 Acadian Way, Van Buren, ME 04785
- US Customs: (207) 868-3391
- Canada: 10 Bridge Street, St. Leonard NB E7E 1Y1
- Canadian Customs: (506) 423-6282
Things to Know About the Saint Leonard – Van Buren Bridge Border Crossing:
- During the Prohibition, Saint-Leonard was a popular town because of the ease in which people could smuggle alcohol from there to Van Buren, Maine.
- Non-residents of Maine can register their ATVs and snowmobiles online here.
- Hunting and fishing licenses can be purchased in Van Buren’s Town Office.
- Visit Acadian Village in Van Buren, one of Maine’s largest historical sites, to see original and replica Acadian buildings such as a schoolhouse, a blacksmith shop, and a log chapel.
- The Bangor & Aroostook Trail, a multiuse trail that passes through Van Buren, is perfect for hiking, snowmobiling, biking, and even cross-country skiing.
Links of Interest