Porthill Rykerts border crossing
The Porthill – Rykerts border crossing is one of only two ports of entry between Idaho and British Columbia. Compared to the Eastport border crossing, the one located in Porthill is generally a little more heavily traveled with over 400 vehicles passing through each day. Travelers and locals generally use this border crossing while commercial vehicles are more likely to use the Eastport crossing.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times in Porthill Rykerts
The US port of entry is open daily from 7 am to 11 pm. The Canadian border station, on the other hand, is open to travelers daily from 8 am to 12 am starting on the first Saturday in November to the second Saturday in March. From the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November, travelers can use this port of entry from 7 am to 11 pm. Commercial vehicles heading into Canada can only pass through on weekends from 8 am to 4 pm, except on holidays.
While the Porthill ID border crossing can be fairly busy, you shouldn’t experience any delays. If you want to get current wait times on this border crossing, you can download the CanBorder app or the CBP Border Wait Times app on Google Play or iTunes to get updates on the go.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Typically, traffic is very light at the Porthill – Rykerts border crossing. Travelers can get traffic updates from Idaho’s travel information service hotline – 511. You can check the weather conditions in the area by visiting here.
British Columbia has a traffic camera at the junction of Highway 3 and Highway 3A at Creston looking southeast, near Highway 21 which heads to the border. You can also check DriveBC’s interactive map to see the driving conditions along the highways heading towards the border. For updates on driving conditions in British Columbia, you can call 1-800-550-4997. Travelers can also call 1-604-664-9010 for weather updates in the area.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To learn more about the Porthill – Rykerts border crossing, you can get in touch with the customs official at this port of entry using the contact details provided below. To reach this port of entry, you can follow the directions and the map given below.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 12222 Idaho Highway 1, Porthill, Idaho 83853
- US Customs: (208) 267-5309
- Canada: 108 Highway 21, Creston, British Columbia V0B 1G2
- Canadian Customs: (250) 428-2575
Things to Know About Porthill – Rykerts Border Crossing:
- British Columbia has restrictions on fruits and vegetables coming from Idaho. Some of these include apples, pears, peaches, plums, apricots, nectarines, corn on the Cob, and potatoes (which can only be imported if they are in a sealed bag inspected by the US). You can find out what requirements, if any; you will need to comply with in order to import these foods on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) Automated Import Reference System (AIRS).
- Just 6 miles north of the border is the town of Creston. Travelers might want to stop by and enjoy the different attractions in the area.
- Porthill is an unincorporated community that offers several services to travelers passing by the area. The community has a small convenient store, Porthill Mercantile, where Canadians can buy liters of gas as well as beer, wine, cheese, and milk. There’s also a parcel depot that receives and ships parcels for US and Canadian customers. The community also has a restaurant and a hostel for tourists to enjoy.