The FDR (Franklin Delano Roosevelt) Bridge is an international bridge that crosses the US-Canada border. It connects a small fishing village called Lubec in Maine and the Campobello Island in Canada. The bridge serves as the only road that connects the island to rest of North America. In fact, the only way that Canadian residents on the island can reach the rest of Canada is to cross the bridge into Maine and then cross the border back into Canada.
Originally, a ferry was used to travel between the two locations. When the bridge was built in 1962, permanent border stations were also established, one on each end of the bridge. Prior to that, the US CBP utilized mobile trailers.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times in Fdr Bridge
Passenger and commercial vehicles can enter the US 24/7. The Canadian border station is also open to passenger vehicles 24 hours a day. Its commercial services, however, are only available during weekdays, from 8 am to 5 pm except on holidays.
The FDR Bridge is a fairly traveled border crossing that is often used by passenger vehicles containing locals and vacationers. Wait times can reach 30 minutes on regular days. During the summer months, delays can go as long as 2 hours. Travelers can download the CBP Border Wait Times app (Google Play or iTunes) or the CanBorder app to get updated wait times while on the go.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Around 800 to 900 vehicles pass through the FDR Bridge border crossing every day. Most of the vehicles are locals and vacationers who are visiting the historic summer cottage of President Franklin Roosevelt. Summer is the height of tourist season which means that traffic can get really heavy during those months.
Travelers who want to get weather-related information on traffic advisories, road constructions, and incidents in Maine can call the travel information service hotline by dialing 511 or 866-282-7578 (calls from outside Maine). You can also check out this interactive map to help you work out the details of your road trip. Visitors of New Brunswick can also get the same kind of information on traffic and road conditions by calling 511 (from inside New Brunswick) and 800-561-4063 (from outside NB).
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To learn more about crossing the border at the FDR bridge, you can get in touch with the US and/or Canadian border inspection facilities by calling the numbers listed below. To drive to this port of entry, just follow our map and directions.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 9 Washington Street, Lubec, Maine 04652
- US Customs: (207) 733-4331
- Canada: 1 Route 774, Welshpool NB E5E 1A1
- Canadian Customs: (506) 752-2091
Things to Know About FDR Bridge Border Crossing:
- The FDR bridge got its name from the fact that the 32nd US president, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, used to have a summer retreat on Campobello Island. Today, the house and the surrounding area is called the Roosevelt Campobello International Park.
- Lubec, Maine is the easternmost town in the US that offers rustic views, fishing wharves, quaint homes, memorable lighthouses, charm, solitude, and tranquility.
- If you’re going to drive up to Lubec using the Airline Road out of Bangor, be sure to gas up. The road is deserted, filled with stretches of forests with no homes or gas stations in site.
Links of Interest