Chateaugay – Herdman border crossing
The Chateaugay – Herdman border crossing is a lightly traveled port that lies between the communities of Chateaugay, New York and Hinchinbrooke, Quebec.
The US border station, along with the inspector’s residence, at this port was built in 1933 in response to an increase in alcohol smuggling from Canada into the US due to the prohibition. While this facility has since undergone some alterations, it is still a well-preserved example of buildings built in that time period. In 2014, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
The US port of entry is open to all vehicles 24/7. The Canadian port of entry is also open to passenger vehicles 24/7. Commercial vehicles, however, can only use this port on weekdays from 8 am to 5 pm, except on holidays. To monitor wait times while on the road, travelers can download the CanBorder app or the CBP Border Wait Times app on Google Play or iTunes.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Traffic is generally light at the Chateaugay NY border crossing due to the small number of vehicles passing through. To get real-time information on road conditions in New York, travelers can make use of the state’s 511 Traveler Information System. Information is made accessible to the public via telephone service (511 or 888-465-1169), mobile app (iTunes, Google Play), and the 511NY website.
Quebec also has a similar service – the Quebec 511 program. Travelers can get updates on road conditions, traffic, weather, and incidents by calling 1-888-355-0511, downloading the mobile app, or following the Twitter account @Qc511_Mtl.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To get more information about the Chateaugay – Herdman border crossing, travelers can use the phone numbers below to contact the customs officials at this port. To drive to this crossing, travelers can use the map and directions provided as a guide.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: State Route 374, Chateaugay, New York 12920
- US Customs: (518) 497-6633
- Canada: 2705 Douanes Road, Athelstan QC J0S 1A0
- Canadian Customs: (450) 264-5600
Things to Know About the Chateaugay – Herdman Border Crossing:
- The center of the town of Chateaugay was incorporated as a village in 1868. The village is also called Chateaugay.
- The first butter factory in Canada was established in 1873 in the hamlet of Athelstan which is located in the rural center of the town of Hinchinbrooke.
- The nearest hospital to the town of Hinchinbrooke is Centre Hospitalier Huntingdon, 7 minutes away in Huntingdon, Quebec.
Links of Interest