Coutts border crossing
The Sweetgrass – Coutts border crossing links the community of Sweet Grass, Montana to Coutts, Alberta. It is the busiest port of entry in the state of Montana and serves as an important trade route between the US states along Interstate 15, the Canadian province of Alberta, and Mexico. This crossing is also the only port between Alberta and Montana that offers its commercial services 24/7. The US and Canadian customs agencies share a massive joint border inspection station at this port.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
The Sweetgrass MT border crossing is open to all vehicles 24/7 in both directions. NEXUS lanes are available at this crossing. NEXUS lanes heading to Canada are open on weekdays from 3 pm to 5 pm, except on holidays. NEXUS lanes going into the US are open 7 days a week.
Travelers can check current border wait times at the Sweetgrass port of entry by visiting the US CBP and CBSA websites. Downloading the CBP Border Wait Times app on Google Play or iTunes or the CanBorder app can also help travelers monitor any changes while on the road.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Travelers who wish to keep updated on weather-related road conditions, vehicle restrictions, road work, and other travel information in Montana can dial 511 (800-226-7623 for calls outside the state) or visit the state’s travel info map online. Travelers heading to Alberta can also get updates on road and weather conditions in the province by calling 511 (1-855-391-9743 for outside Alberta), following @511Alberta on Twitter, or checking Alberta’s Road Conditions Map. For this particular border crossing, travelers can also view live footage from a traffic camera located on Highway 4 near Coutts.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
Travelers can use the phone numbers below to get in touch with the US or Canadian customs officials at this location. The map and the directions can also be used as a guide on how to reach the Sweetgrass – Coutts border crossing.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 39825 Interstate 15, Sweetgrass, MT 59484
- US Customs: (406) 335-9610
- Canada: Highway #4 South, Coutts, Alberta T0K 0N0
- Canadian Customs: (800) 461 9999
Things to Know About the Sweetgrass – Coutts Border Crossing:
- Duty free shops are located on both sides of the border – the Sweetgrass Duty Free Americas and the Coutts Duty Free.
- In 1980, a narrow gauge railroad was built to enable the delivery of coal from Lethbridge, Alberta to mining and smelting companies in Great Falls, Montana. This resulted in establishing the Sweetgrass border crossing. The original railway station can be visited in Stirling Alberta at the Galt Historic Railway Park.
- The town’s name, Sweetgrass, is derived from the grass that grows in the area that gives off a sweet, long-lasting aroma.
Links of Interest