Calais International Avenue border station
The Calais International Avenue border crossing is actually the International Avenue bridge which links the town of Calais, Maine to St. Stephen, New Brunswick across the St. Croix River. This bridge is actually one of three bridges that connect the two towns. However, the International Avenue Bridge is the only one that allows commercial traffic. The bridge was built in 2009 and is marked as the first new US-Canada border crossing that has been built in the past 39 years. The main reason for building the bridge was to lessen the heavy traffic and long wait times experienced by travelers using the Ferry Point and Milltown border crossings. Today, the International Avenue port of entry is the 10th busiest port of entry along the US-Canada border, with more than 2,000 vehicles passing through each day.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times in Calais International Avenue
The Calais International Avenue border crossing is open to passenger and commercial vehicles 24/7. The NEXUS lanes going into the US is open only on the weekends from 8 am to 11 am (EST). The NEXUS lanes going into Canada is open daily from 3 pm to 5 pm.
The International Avenue Bridge carries over 2,000 vehicles per day which can lead to delays of up to 2 hours. To get the current wait times at this port of entry, you can check the CBP website here and the CBSA website here (listed as St. Stephen 3rd Bridge). Travelers can also use the CBP Border Wait Times app (Google Play or iTunes) or the CanBorder app to get updates while on the go.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Traffic can get heavy at the Calais International Avenue border crossing due to the large number of vehicles passing through. Both Maine and New Brunswick participate in the travel information service hotline – 511 – which travelers can call to get up-to-date traffic and road conditions in both areas. If you want to get the weather conditions before your trip to Maine or New Brunswick, you can search for it here.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To get more information about the Calais ME border crossing, you can call the customs officials on either side of the border using the phone numbers listed below. To reach this port of entry, you can use the directions and the map provided below.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 180 International Avenue, Calais, ME 04619
- US Customs: (207) 904-3000
- Canada: 20 St. Stephen Drive, St. Stephen NB E3L 0B5
- Canadian Customs: 800-461-9999 (from within Canada) / 204-983-3500 (from outside Canada)
Things to Know About Calais International Avenue Border Crossing:
- St. Stephen is known as Canada’s Chocolate Town where the country’s oldest candy company, Ganong Bros. Limited, was founded in 1873 and still remains.
- Calais has several Duty Free Americas stores. The nearest one to the International Avenue Bridge is at Baring Street.
- The northernmost lighthouse in Maine is located in Calais – the Whitlocks Mill Lighthouse.
- Just a little under 10 miles from Calais is the Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge where visitors can hunt, fish, and observe the different species that call this place home.
Links of Interest