North Dakota shares a 310-mile border with the provinces of Saskatchewan and Manitoba, Canada. There are 18 border crossings found along this line, only three of which operate 24/7. The busiest port of entry in North Dakota is the Pembina – Emerson border crossing. It also ranks as one of the top 5 busiest ports along the US-Canada border with over a million passenger and commercial vehicles passing through in both directions. Most ports of entry in this state have limited hours of operation and experience low volume traffic.
Travel tips for crossing the North Dakota border into Canada:
- Canadians who wish to hunt in Michigan are required to get a DNR Sportcard and a base license to be able to hunt small game. Additional licenses and permits are required for hunting big game.
- There are import restrictions on hunters importing free-ranging deer, elk, or moose into Michigan from Alberta, or Saskatchewan. According to the Michigan’s Department of Natural Resources, only the following parts are allowed for importation: deboned meat, antlers, antlers attached to a skull cap cleaned of all brain and muscle tissue, hides, upper canine teeth, or a finished taxidermy mount.
- Fishing enthusiasts who are aged 17 years or older will need to acquire a DNR Sportcard and a fishing license if they want to fish in Michigan waters. Permits and tags are also given for muskellunge and sturgeon.
If you want to learn more about each of the ports of entry between Michigan and Ontario, please click on the links posted below. Each page details information regarding a specific border crossing including border wait times, traffic conditions, directions, and contact information.
- Ambrose – Torquay Border Crossing
- Antler – Lyleton Border Crossing
- Carbury – Goodlands Border Crossing
- Fortuna – Oungre Border Crossing
- Hannah – Snowflake Border Crossing
- Hansboro – Cartwright Border Crossing
- Maida – Windygates Border Crossing
- Neche – Gretna Border Crossing
- Noonan – Estevan Border Crossing
- Northgate Border Crossing
- Peace Garden Border Crossing
- Pembina – Emerson Border Crossing
- Portal – North Portal Border Crossing
- Sarles – Crystal Border Crossing
- Sherwood – Carievale Border Crossing
- St. John – Lena Border Crossing
- Walhalla – Winkler Border Crossing
- Westhope – Coulter Border Crossing