Ferry Point Bridge border crossing
Ferry Point Bridge is one of three bridges that connects Calais, Maine and St. Stephen, New Brunswick. Before 2009, this international bridge was a major border crossing between the two towns which meant that a large amount of truck traffic often congested the bridge and parts of the downtown areas. Today, only autos are allowed to pass through the Ferry Point Bridge. Commercial vehicles are turned away and directed to the International Avenue Bridge.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
|Vehicle Type||Canada > USA||USA > Canada|
Lanes open: 2
Status: no delay - 0m
Ready Lanes: N/A
Lanes open: N/A
FAST Lanes: N/A
Travelers can use the Ferry Point Bridge 24/7. Commercial vehicles, however, are not allowed to use this bridge. While there are no longer any large trucks that can add considerable congestion to this port of entry, the bridge can get backed up at times, especially on weekends. Its location in the downtown area also means that travelers may have to contend with local traffic as well.
Visit the CBSA and the US CBP websites to get current border wait times at the Canadian or US port of entry at the Ferry Point Bridge. To monitor border delays while you’re on the road, you can get the CanBorder app or the CBP Border Wait Times app (Google Play or iTunes).
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Weather: Clear sky
Temperature: 41.09 F
Humidity: 100 %
Wind: 8.05 mph 260 W
Since the International Avenue Bridge was opened, traffic has considerably lightened at the Ferry Point border crossing. However, an average of 1,879 vehicles still use the Ferry Point Bridge every day. If you want to get current traffic updates as well as reports on road conditions, you can call 511 (or 866-282-7578 for outside Maine) which is Maine’s travel information service. The state also provides updates on Twitter (@MaineDOT) and on an interactive map. Travelers can also get weather-related traffic reports from New Brunswick’s 511 hotline.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
If you want to learn more about the Ferry Point Bridge, you can get in touch with the border officials at the US and Canadian ports of entry using the phone numbers listed below. If you’re planning on crossing the border at this location, you can follow the map and directions provided below.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.:1 Main Street, Calais, ME 04619
- US Customs: (207) 454-3621
- Canada: 204 Milltown Boulevard, St. Stephen NB E3L 1G8
- Canadian Customs: (506) 465-2100
Things to Know About Ferry Point Bridge Border Crossing:
- There are two Duty Free Americas stores along Main Street that travelers can visit. You can learn more about their hours of operation here and here.
- Visitors to Calais, Maine who want to see local wildlife can visit the Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge. You can find out more about what the town can offer by visiting their website here.
- St. Stephen is called Canada’s Chocolate Town because it is home to the oldest candy manufacturer in Canada – Ganong Bros. Chocolates. Visit the Chocolate Museum to learn the art of making candy and learn all about the company’s history.