Jail and Inmate Search in Maryland
MD currently has 35,000 inmates in jail prison and youth detention centers. 21,000 of them reside in state prisons, another 4,500 in federal prison, 8,800 in county jails and 770 in detention centers. Almost 70% of MD inmates are Black with the other 30% divided by White and Hispanic races. The state has an incredibly high number of people on probation, currently 72, 529 with another 10,305 on parole. The state’s jail and prison system is managed and operated by the MD Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.
Table of Contents
What are Maryland Jail Records?
Maryland jail inmate search records are the documents and files that follow an inmate through the prison system until they have completed the terms of their parole. Every time someone moves a prisoner, another form is filled out, and the jail record is updated. Each Maryland inmate has their own jail record, and it includes everything that affects him or her while in the system. Visits, moves, and participation in any prison programs or services will be noted in the file. Maryland inmate search records are frequently updated, often daily by the administrative staff of the Department of Corrections.
How to Perform Maryland Inmate Lookup
The state offers a simple name search tool where you can put either first or last names in and find someone incarcerated in a MD jail or prison. The results will show a list of inmates that match the name. You can click on each one to see the details. You will be able to view their prison ID, the facility they are held in, their full name and date of birth. For a more complete report, you can use Maryland prison inmate search online to find out more information about their criminal history and even see mug shots.
Creating Public Jail Records
MD creates and keeps jail records for each inmate. Maryland inmate search records include everything from the initial intake paperwork when the inmate was arrested, to moves to other facilities, visitors they receive while inside, participation in programs and medical checkups. Every time something happens in a prisoner’s life, it is recorded in the jail record. The state updates the records daily and shares them with all other law enforcement agencies so that they can all work from the same information. This information is kept online, and much of it is public record.
Criminal Justice Quick Facts
Maryland Prisoner Statistics by Gender
The number of Maryland prisoners at the year-end of 2016 was 19,994, that saw a 3.7% decrease compared to the previous year. Females made up 4.1% of prison population while the number of male prisoners counted 19,172 in 2016.
The Prisoner Change by Gender in % for the Last 10 Years
|Number of Male Prisoners||Number of Female Prisoners|
|Change in Number of Male Prisoners||Change in Number of Female Prisoners|
The Timeline of Total Prisoners from 2007-2016
The prison population of Maryland is 19,994 inmates, that is 14.7% lower than it was 10 years ago. The highest number of prison population in Maryland was in 2007, when the number of prisoners was 23,433 inmates.
Maryland Parole Population
Maryland parole population as of the beginning of 2016 counted 10,887 people, 220 paroles per 100.000 population. That’s by 582 people less compared to the previous year, which has decreased by -5.3%.
Paroles per 100.000 population
Parole Total Population in Maryland
Parole Entries & Exits
Change in 2016, in Percentage and Number
Number on parole per 100,000 U.S. adult residents
Adults entering parole, by type of entry
|Type of Parole Entry||Number of Parolees|
|Term of supervised release:||0|
|Unknown or not reported:||0|
Currently, MD manages and operates 30 jails and 24 prisons with a staff of 6,703 and an annual budget of $793 million. the state’s prison population is on a downward trend. Along with the inmates, MD’s community corrections system oversees another 72,529 people on probation and 10,305 on parole. It costs MD $38,383 to house an inmate for one year. Based on a hundred thousand residents, the state has an incarceration rate of 329, a property crime rate of 2,285 and a violent crime rate of 472. MD is committed to prisoner safety and re-integration upon release by offering education, psychological screening, job skill training and alcohol and drug treatment programs.