Archer City, TX Archer County TX Jail View
The Archer County Courthouse and Jail is a historic courthouse building on Public Square and Sycamore and Pecan Streets in Archer City, Texas. Archer County was organized in 1880. The Romanesque style courthouse was built during 1891-92 and replaced a wooden courthouse from 1880. An architectural design competition was held, and the Romanesque Revival-style design of architect Alonzo N. Dawson of Fort Worth was chosen out of 25 submissions. The contract amount for construction was $32,500. The exterior walls of the courthouse are of brown sandstone obtained from a nearby quarry. Originally, the building was two-story and rising from the center of the courthouse was a massive octagonal tower, with four clock faces, terminated with a cupola. The tower was removed in 1928 and a third floor was added. The jail, a block north of the courthouse, was built in 1910. The courthouse and jail were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.