Louis C. Powledge Unit

The Louis C. Powledge Unit (B2, originally the Beto II Unit) is a Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) prison for men located in unincorporated Anderson County, Texas. The approximately 20,518-acre (8,303 ha) unit, co-located with the Beto, Coffield, and Michael prison units and the Gurney Unit transfer facility, is along Farm to Market Road 3452. The facility is located off of Farm to Market Road 645, 7 miles (11 km) west of Palestine.[1] The unit opened in July 1982 as the Beto II Unit.[2] It was originally named after former Texas Department of Corrections (TDC) head George Beto.[3] Construction of the bus repair facility began in October 1982 and ended in October 1984. The unit acquired additional acreage in October 1986. Construction of a 200-person trusty camp facility began in 1987 and ended in January 1989. In October 1988 the bus repair facility was converted into a manufacturer of dump beds and spreader boxes for the Highway Department dump trucks and of jail steel products for the construction of additional TDCJ units. The Louis C. Powledge Unit received its current name on May 5, 1995, after Louis C. Powledge, a former Assistant Director of Contract Construction.

Louis C. Powledge Unit Contact Details

Address: 1400 FM 3452, Anderson, TX
City: Palestine
Zip: 75803
Phone 1: 903-723-5074 **028
Type: State Prison

Mailing to Inmates and Staff

Inmate Visiting Days and Hours

Day of Week Hours
Saturday 7am to 5pm
Sunday 7am to 5pm