Caldwell Correctional Center
Caldwell was one of 61 field unit prisons renovated or built during the late 1930's to house inmates who worked building roads. Caldwell housed medium custody adult males in 1966 for one year and housed minimum custody male youth from 1977 to 1981. In the original prison, inmates were housed in a building that had two dormitories. A modular dormitory was added in 1978. Those housing units are still in use today. Lawmakers provided two 50-bed dormitory additions as part of the $28.5 million Emergency Prison Facilities Development program authorized in 1987. In 1990, a modular unit was installed to house a dental office that provides care for Western region inmates. Another modular unit was added in 1997 for the prison's medical department. In 1987, a 135-seat chapel was built. It was funded by donations from community churches and individuals. In February 1994, the former Department of Correction signed its first agreement for housing state prisoners in a county jail with Burke County. From 1994 to 1998, the department leased space in out-of-state prisons and other county jails as new prisons were constructed. All out-of-state prisoners were returned by December 1997 and other lease agreements were cancelled as new prisons opened. The lease agreement with Burke continued until June 1998. Caldwell prison managers worked with Burke County officials who provided space for 88 state prisoners.
Caldwell Correctional Center Contact Details
Mailing to Inmates and Staff
Inmate Visiting Days and Hours
|Day of Week||Hours|