Draper Correctional Facility View
Draper Correctional Facility was a Alabama Department of Corrections state prison for men located in Elmore, Elmore County, Alabama. The prison first opened in 1939 with a capacity of 600 beds, replacing the former Speigner Reformatory. Speigner had been founded circa 1900 and employed inmates on a farm and cotton mill on site. It was destroyed by fire in November 1932 Draper retains a farming operation and a furniture plant, as well as vocational training and employing inmates on facility maintenance. Each prisoner has an assigned job. It was named for Hamp Draper, the then-director of the state corrections department. Elmore is the site of three Alabama state prisons: Draper, Staton Correctional Facility which is immediately adjacent, and the Elmore Correctional Facility about a mile to the east.